Delivering superb solutions for content creators and videographers, with Balanced Optical SteadyShot, to rival gimbal systems, high-resolution 4K movie recording and high-quality sound with a unique microphone the SONY FDRAX43B 4K UHD Handycam Camcorder puts professional production and simple movie sharing within anyoneâs grasp.
Brilliant true-to-life 4K
The compact and lightweight AX43 HandycamÂ® camcorder features the latest generation ZEISSÂ® Vario-Sonnar T* 20x optical zoom lens and 16:9 video optimized 1/2.5â Exmor RÂ® CMOS sensor that enhances the spectacular detail of 4K resolution with increased sensitivity for capturing high-quality movies in low-light. High bit-rate recording in XAVC-S format and fast intelligent autofocus clearly captures even fast moving and complex scenes.
Sony's unique Balanced Optical SteadyShotâ¢ image stabilization system with a gimbal mechanism is about 13 times more effective than other optical systems. Capture smooth, professional-looking images, even at full zoom or while running, with no need for bulky and costly external gimbals.
Exmor R® CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processing engine
The newly developed 1/2.5â Exmor ® CMOS image sensor is optimized for 4K movie recording with its 16:9 aspect ratio and pixels of approximately 1.6 times bigger size than previous AX-series camcorders. It offers superior sensitivity for capturing beautiful high-quality images with less noise under dark as well as bright shooting conditions, while the BIONZ X processing engine achieves more naturally vivid and lifelike images with faster processing. Capture stunning video in both 4k/24p/30p and Full HD 60p/30p. Versatile shooting w/ XAVC Sâ¢, AVCHDÂ® and MP4 codecs.
Get more in
Fit more in your frame with the 26.8mm wide-angle ZEISSÂ® Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens, specifically designed for high-resolution 4k movie recording. It achieves outstanding image quality due to the ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens that reproduces accurate color and AA (advanced aspherical) lens which provides high resolution image reproduction. Get close to the action with 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K and 40x for HD.
Fast Intelligent Autofocus
Fast Intelligent AF algorithm optimizes communication between the lens and the image processor to achieve incredibly rapid and accurate contrast-detection focus. This state-of-the-rt AF range prediction system minimizes lens motion, predicting the autofocus range, to accelerates the lens drive, thereby improving response so you can capture precise moments.
Great sound, less noise
The AX43 camcorder has a premium three mic. capsule structural design that enables it to gather sound from five directions. This enables the camera to reproduce clearer sound, yielding up to 40% less noise and is twice as effective in 2ch stereo (for XAVC S shooting) and three times as effective in 5.1ch surround (5.1ch for AVCHD shooting). This makes it possible to faithfully reproduce audio with clearly defined separation. Advanced sound features such as Auto Wind Noise Reduction and My Voice Cancelling make it even easier to attain ideal sound quality in various situations.
The AX43 is the ideal clogging camera for all types content creators. High resolution 4k, ZEISS lens with Fast Intelligent AF and Balanced Optical SteadyShot offers incredible image quality while the on-board microphone and MI (Multi-interface) shoe which can be used with a variety of optional external microphones deliver outstanding low-noise audio. Compatibility with accessories like the GP-VPT1 shooting grip enhance the versatility of this already amazing camera, while Highlight Movie Maker makes it super-simple to automatically create short videos for instant sharing.
Flip out tilting 3" Clear Photo touch screen LCD is ideal for is perfect for selfie and almost any other shot-composition from behind or in-front of the camera to high and low-angle shots. Power automatically turns on when you open the LCD and all settings are accessible on the touch screen for easy and fast operation.
Highlight Movie Maker makes movies easy
Highlight Movie Maker is a versatile automatic in-camera movie editing function to streamline movie editing. It can automatically create 4K or HD movies out of several of your clips with time-saving features by picking highlight moments in your footage like zooming or points you select while recording. Then the camcorder automatically sync movie transitions to your chosen soundtrack. You can also customize with transition effects and your own soundtrack music, and once completed, easily share MP4 movies on social media sites via a smartphone.
4K Time-lapse Capture
Create captivating 4K time-lapse movies. You can capture 4K (8.3MP) still images continuously over an extensive period of time at a selected constant interval from each shot to the next. Then edit the entire sequence of still images in post-production software and enjoy playback as a time-lapse movie.
Dual Video Recording
Record two movies at the same time â one in the maximum-quality XAVC S or AVCHD format and another in MP4 format. That way youâve got a small file ready for instant sharing, plus a professional-grade file for further editing.
Wi-Fi w/ One-touch remote and sharing
Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for easy connectivity, allows for âOne-touch remoteâ which lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder, while âOne-touch sharingâ lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera to your mobile device for instant sharing on Social Media sites. Connect to your mobile device with the free Imaging Edge Mobile app available for both Android and Apple iOS.
Enjoy customization with ergonomic manual controls. Use the intuitive touch screen to adjust focus, exposure, IRIS, shutter speed, AE shift, or white balance shift mode. Time Code and User Bit can be added to movies as data elements. Time Code function records hours/minutes/seconds/frames on image data for precise advanced video editing. User Bit function records information such as date/time/scene number, etc. in eight-digit arbitrary numbers, and is useful for editing movies using two or more cameras.
Multi Camera Control
More shots mean more editing opportunities. Easily record footage from a variety of angles, whether using cameras mounted directly to the Handycam® or triggered wirelessly. Multi Camera Control makes it easy to sync shooting settings on compatible Wi-Fi® connected devices.
- Imaging Sensor: 1/2.5 type(7.20mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Processor: BIONZ X image processor
- Pixel Gross: approx. 8.57 Megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution(movie): approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9) *1
- Effective Picture Resolution(still): approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)/approx. 6.22 Megapixels(4:3)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Media Type: XAVC S 4K(100Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over,UHS-I U3 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I U3 or Higher)
- Media Type: XAVC S 4K(60Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over,Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher)
- Media Type: XAVC S HD: SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over,Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher)
- Media Type: AVCHD,Still: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- Maximum Capacity of External Media: 256GB(As of 12/2019)
- Still Image File Format: DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Still Image Mode: JPEG
- Still Image Max Effective: 16.6 Megapixels
- Still Image Size(Movie Mode): M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160) S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Still Image Size(Photo Mode): L: 16.6 Megapixels 16:9 (5440x3056),12.5 Megapixels 4:3 (4080x3056) M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9
- Still Image Size(Photo Mode): (3840x2160),6.2 Megapixels 4:3 (2880x2160)
- Still Image Size(Photo Mode): S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080),0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640x480)
- Video Format: XAVC S format:MPEG4-AVC/H.264
- Video Format: AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264
- Video Format: MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Video Mode(Resolution): XAVC S 4K : 3840x2160/30p, 24p
- Video Mode(Resolution): XAVC S HD : 1920x1080/60p, 30p, 24p
- Video Mode(Resolution): AVCHD : 1920x1080/60p(PS),30p(FX,FH),24p(FX,FH),60i(FX,FH), 1440x1080/60i(HQ,LP)
- Video Mode(Resolution): MP4: 1280x720 30p
- Movie Recording Rate(Average Bit Rate/VBR) *2 *2 Bit Rate is described by average bit rate(including movie, sounds and others).: XAVC S 4K: approx.100Mbps XAVC S 4K: approx.60Mbps XAVC S HD: approx.50Mbps AVCHD PS:approx.28Mbps/FX:approx.24Mbps/FH:approx.17Mbps/HQ:approx.9Mbps/LP:approx.5Mbps MP4: approx.3Mbps
- Video Actual (Pixel): approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9) *1 *1 When "SteadyShot" is set to "Standard" or "Off".
- Progressive Mode: XAVC S 4K : 30p/24p, Progressive recording XAVC S HD: 60p/30p/24p, Progressive recording AVCHD: 60p/30p/24p, Progressive recording MP4: 30p, Progressive recording
- Photo Capture from Movie: XAVC S 4K: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160) XAVC S HD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080) AVCHD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Dual Record *7 *7 Not available in the recording mode PS(60p/50p), FX(24p/25p/60i/50i) and FH(24p/25p) : M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160) S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080) *8 *9
- Audio Format: LPCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit) *10 *10 Video Mode is XAVC S HD or 4K. Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator *11 *11 Video Mode is AVCHD. Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator *11 MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch *12 *12 Video Mode is MP4.
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in Zoom Microphone Monaural Speaker
- Mic Level Control: Yes(31steps)
- Auto wind noise reduction: Yes(On/Off)
- Dual Video Recording: Yes *13 *13 "Dual Video Recording "doesn't work in "AVCHD PS" mode or "XAVC S HD 60p" mode.
- Video Signal: UHDTV HDTV NTSC color, EIA standards
- Lens Type: ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- Lens Stabilization: Balanced Optical SteadyShot
- Aperture: F2.0-3.8
- Optical Zoom: 20x
- Digital Zoom *14 *14 The factory setting is "Off". Digital zoom ratio includes optical zoom ration.: 250x
- Clear Image Zoom : 4K : 30x HD : 40x *15 *15 When "SteadyShot" is set to "Active" or "Intelligent Active".
- Focal Distance: f=4.4-88mm f=3/16 - 3 1/2 inch
- Focal Length(35mm equivalent)(Movie Mode): f=26.8-536.0mm(16:9) *1 f=1 1/16 - 21 1/8 inch *1 *1 When "SteadyShot" is set to "Standard" or "Off".
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Photo Mode): f=26.8-536.0mm(16:9) f=32.8-656.0mm(4:3) f=1 1/16 - 21 1/8 inch (16:9) f=1 5/16 - 25 7/8(4:3)
- Filter Diameter: 55mm 2 1/4inch
- Minimum Focus Distance: approx.1cm(Wide), approx.80cm(Tele) approx.13/32inch(Wide), approx.31 1/2inch(Tele)
- Aperture Blade: 6 blades
- LCD Type: 7.5cm(3.0 type) Clear Photo LCD display (460 800 dots) Wide(16:9)
- Touch Panel: Yes
- Angle Adjustment: Opening Angle:max.90 deg., Turning Angle:max.270 deg.
- Brightness Control *16 *16 Backlight brightness will automatically be set "Bright" when connected to AC adaptor.: Yes(Menu)
- LCD Backlight: yes
- Coverage: 100%
- Marker/Grid Display: Grid Line *17 *17 the same as Guide Flame
- Focus System: Contrast AF
- AF Modes: Auto/Manual(Touch Panel)
- Focus Area: Full range Focus/Spot Focus
- Manual Focus Assist: Peaking Display
- Focus Features: Lock-on AF *8 *8 Not available in the 4K Recording mode with Dual Video Recording
- Fast Intelligent AF: Yes
- Metering Modes: Multi-segment/Spot
- Exposure Compensation: AE Shift(Touch Panel)
- Exposure Settings: Auto Flexible Spot(Touch Panel) Manual(Menu)
- LOW LUX Mode: Yes
- Scene Mode(s): Auto/Night Scene/Sunrise & Sunset/Fireworks/Landscape/Portrait/Spotlight/Beach/Snow
- Backlight Compensation: Yes(Auto)
- Noise Reduction: Yes
- White Balance Mode: Auto/Onepush/Outdoor/Indoor
- WB Shift: Yes
- Minimum Illumination: 4K:Standard:9 lux(1/60 Shutter Speed) HD:Standard:6 lux(1/60 Shutter Speed) 4K:Low Lux 1.8lux(1/30 Shutter Speed) HD:Low Lux 1.2lux(1/30 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Iris Control: F2.0-F11
- Manual Iris Control: F2.0-F11
- Manual Exposure Assist: Zebra Pattern Display
- Drive Mode: Photo Mode:Single-shot/Self-timer
- Self-timer: approx.10sec.(Still Image/Golf Shot)
- Shutter Speed Auto Control Range: 1/8-1/10000
- Shutter Speed(Standard): 1/60-1/10000
- Shutter Speed(Manual lris Control): 1/30-1/10000
- Shutter Speed(Manual Shutter): 1/8-1/10000
- Shutter Speed(Smooth Slow Rec): 1/250-1/10000
- Manual/Auto Lens Cover: Auto
- S/S & Zoom button on LCD: Yes(Touch Panel)
- Red Eye Reduction: Yes *18 *18 w/ Optional Flash Accessory
- Fader Effect(s) *19 *19 Only record movie: White/Black
- Digital Picture Effects/Picture Effects: -/Yes
- Date/Time Stamp: Yes(Rec Date and Time, Camera info)
- Erase/Protect: Yes/Yes
- Media/Battery Indicator: Yes(recordable time, free and used media space)/Yes(recordable time, remaining capacity)
- On Screen Main Indicators: Intelligent Auto Status Zoom Position Recording/Playback/Editing Media Recording Status Recording Mode Recording Image Quality Photo Size Shooting Mode Status
- Multiple Language Display: English French Spanish Brazilian Portugese
- Still Image Playback Options: Slide Show
- Video Playback Options: Highlight Movie Maker Highlight background music(Preinstalled 6 music files, Music transfer compatible *20 *20 PlayMemories Home Ver.4.1 or later is required.
- Remote Control: Yes(Optional)
- Time code/User Bit: Yes
- Self Recording: Yes
- Filter mode: Yes
- Time-Lapse Capture: Yes
- Shooting Interval: 1/2/5/10/30/60sec
- Shot Number: 1-999
- Capture Image Size: 4K:L(8.3M;3840x2160)/HD:S(2.1M;1920x1080)
- AE Mode: AE Lock/AE Tracking
- Wi-Fi(built-in): Send to Smartphone Control with Smartphone Multi Camera Control
- View on TV: Yes
- NFC: One-touch remote One-touch sharing
- My Voice Canceling: Yes
- AGCLimit: Yes
- Audio Level Display: Yes
- Power Save: Yes
- Cinematone: Yes
- Face Detection: Yes *8 *8 Not available in the 4K Recording mode with Dual Video Recording
- Smile Shutter *7 *7 Not available in the recording mode PS(60p/50p), FX(24p/25p/60i/50i) and FH(24p/25p) : Off/Dual Capture/Always On *8 *9 *8 Not available in the 4K Recording mode with Dual Video Recording *9 Not available in 100Mbps Movie Recording Rate.
- Golf Shot: Yes *11 *11 Video Mode is AVCHD.
- Smooth Slow Rec: Yes *11 *11 Video Mode is AVCHD.
- Image Stabilization: Balanced Optical SteadyShot w/ Intelligent Active mode(5-axis) *21 *21 Not supported at XAVC S 4K
- Intelligent Auto: Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light/Auto wind noise reduction
- View&Index: Event
- x.v.Color: Yes
- Airplane Mode: Yes
- Motion Shot Video: Yes *24 *24 available only in AVCHD or XAVC S HD or MP4
- High Speed Rec: Yes(120p/1920x1080,100/60Mbps)
- Trimming Playback: Yes
- Flash Metering System: Pre-flash TTL *18 *18 w/ Optional Flash Accessory
- Flash Modes: Auto/On/OFF *18 *18 w/ Optional Flash Accessory
- Flash Compensation: Yes(3 steps) *18 *18 w/ Optional Flash Accessory
- Wireless LAN(built-in): Yes(Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band) ) *25 *25 (Configuration method/Access method) WPS or manually /infrastructure mode. When connecting to smartphones, the camera can always work as a base without a wireless access point. (Security: WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK)
- NFC: Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Memory Card Slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- STD Output: Composite Video Out(AV CABLE(sold separately)
- HD Output: HDMI Out(micro)(supplied)
- 4K Output: HDMI Out(micro)(supplied)
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal *26 *26 Supports Micro USB compatible device.: Yes
- BRAVIA Sync: Yes
- PhotoTV HD: Yes
- Headphone Jack: Stereo Minijack
- Microphone Input: Stereo Minijack
- Direct Copy: Yes
- DC IN: Yes
- Remote Terminal: integrated into Multi/Micro USB Terminal *27 *27 Supports Micro USB compatible device.
- HDMI Terminal: Yes (HDMI micro) *28 *28 output only
- Accessory Shoe: Yes(Multi Interface Shoe)
- Dimensions(Approx.)(WxHxD including supplied battery) *29 *30 *29 inculding the projecting parts *30 including lens hood if it is supplied: Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 142.5mm(Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 173mm(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery)) Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 5 5/8inch(Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 7/8inch(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery))
- Weight(Approx) (Main unit only): Approx.510g Approx.1lb 2.0oz
- Weight(Approx.) (Total) *31 *31 including a battery pack and a media(if a lens hood is supplied, including it too.).: Approx.560g(NP-FV50A) Approx.600g(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery) Approx.660g(NP-FV100A) Approx.1lb 3.8oz(NP-FV50A) Approx.1lb 5.2oz(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery) Approx.1lb 7.3oz(NP-FV100A)
- Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series) *32 *32 Except for NP-FV30
- Charge on camcorder(Charging time with supplied Battery) *33 *33 When using supplyed AC adapater. When the AC adaptor is not supplyed, using USB charging.: Yes(approx. 3h 25min)
- Power Consumption (in LCD Operation) *34 *34 Recording mode and media are default settings.: 4K:5.1W
- Power Requirements: 6.8V/7.3V(battery pack); 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- Supplied Accessory *35: Rechargeable Battery Pack(NP-FV70A) (1) AC Adaptor (1) Power Cord (1) Operating Guide(1) HDMI(micro) Cable (1) micro USB Cable (1)
- SteadyShot mode:Active(16:9): 4K : f=27.3 -818.4mm HD : f=27.3 -1091.2mm
- SteadyShot mode:Intelligent active(16:9): f=28.1-1122.6mm
- Auto Non Flicker: Yes
- Gain Control: Auto
- Scene Selection: 1/8-1/10000
- LOW LUX: 1/30-1/10000
- Manual lris Control(Photo Mode): 1/8-1/1000
- Manual Shutter Control(Photo Mode): 1/8-1/500
- Auto Control: Exposure,Color,Focus
- Smile Sensitivity: Yes(3steps)
- Recording pixels(photo, 16:9): Max. 16.6 Megapixels
- Effective(movie, 16:9): approx. 8.29 Megapixels
- Panel(details): 7.5cm(3.0 type) Clear Photo LCD display(460 800 dots) Wide(16:9) (960x480)
- USB Charging(details): DC 5V 1500mA
- Image Management File Repair: Yes
- Fast Playback: About 5 times/10 times/30 times/60 times
- Slow Playback: Forward:1/5 speed, Reverse:1/2 speed
- Date&Time, Area Setting: Yes
- Media Format: Memory Card
- XLRBox: Yes (w/ optional XLR Adaptor Kit)
- 5.1ch Center Mic Ready(w/ Optional microphone): Yes(w/ Optional Shoe Adaptor)
- Demonstration Mode: Yes
- Operating Temperature: 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Storage Temperature: -20 degrees C. - +60 degrees C. / -4 degrees F. - +140 degrees F.